Book #5
Finding Me
By: Darnella Ford
Reflection:
The book "Finding Me" was very... uh... different than anything I have ever read before. Honestly, I didn't really like the book. I mean, it was interesting but the author seemed to put much more details into the more... uh... inappropriate parts of the story. The book was very surprising but disgusting and highly inappropriate for anyone who is not mature enough to mention the word "SEX" or accept the word "HOMOSEXUALITY".
From the look on the cover, the book seems to be very innocent, as if it was just a chic-book. However, when you read in the book, it is a big surprise waiting for you inside. I would not recommend this book to anyone who doesn't like disturbing surprises. Like the old cliche says, "Don't judge a book by its cover".
How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story?
An eleven-year-old girl by the name of Blaze James was a curious little girl, as many young girls are at that age. After an explosion killed her father and scarred her twin sister, she was forced to live with their beloved neighbor, Miss Felicity Hardaway. Miss Hardaway was down to earth and seemed to know everything that Blaze was thinking. Blaze admired everything about her until one night, she witnessed Miss Felicity doing something that she had never seen in her young life. When she finally moved away and continued her life elsewhere, years passed and Blaze's lifestyle had changed. She was GAY and sure of it, even at the young age of 18!!
What events triggered such changes?
The night Blaze saw Miss Felicity doing something unusual, she had witnessed two women having sexual intercourse: Miss Felicity and her friend. Blaze was disgusted but amazed at what she had seen and wondered if it was normal. So, she ventured out into her own adventures and she discovered something that she never would have thought would happen; she liked it!!
Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way?
Honestly, the whole book made me feel very uncomfortable. The fact that the book was nothing like I thought it would be was a big disappointment. Also, the story in itself was disturbing. Reading a book about homosexuality is just not my "cup of tea". Like I said in the beginning, it seemed as if Ford put more detail into the sexual inappropriate parts, making them longer than necessary. While reading the book, I was saying to myself "I think the reader get the point".
Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect in your life you might not have thought of before?
Actually, it did. It taught me that homosexuality is a learned behavior. Also, in the future, as I start my family, I will be sure that whenever I leave my child(ren) with someone other than myself, my child is in the hands of a responsible person who sets great examples and is cautious about what she or he does around my child(ren).
Word Count: 519
Book #6
Just Another Hero
By: Sharon M. Draper
Reflection:I love all of Miss Sharon Draper's books!! I was very excited to read "Just Another Hero" because I have already read the first two books of the trilogy. I truly enjoy reading her books and the stories that unfold in them. The novel was filled with high school excitement and drama as always. I really enjoy her stories because I can honestly relate to most of the characters in the books. I can honestly say that she is my favorite author so far.
I would recommend any high school student to read this book when they have the chance because it is age appropriate and it can actually teach you some things about your school and yourself.
What specific themes did the author emphasize in

No comments:
Post a Comment